Get smart about risks and diabetes prevention
About 1 in 3 adults in the U.S. have prediabetes. About 9 out of 10 people with prediabetes do not know they have it. Prediabetes is a condition that can lead to type 2 diabetes and even heart disease.Could you have Prediabetes?
The sooner you know you have prediabetes, the sooner you can take action to reverse it and prevent type 2 diabetes.
Talk with your doctor about your risk for prediabetes.
The CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) helps people with prediabetes make lasting lifestyle changes to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
Find a diabetes prevention program near you HERE
Learn more by visiting the American Diabetes Association website HERE
Link to Iowa Department of Public Health Diabetes Prevention Information HERE
1.5 million people will be diagnosed with diabetes this year.
No matter if you live with type 1 or type 2 Diabetes, nutrition and exercise are two of the most powerful tools you have to manage your diabetes.
Diabetes education is a recognized part of your diabetes care and is covered by Medicare and most health insurance plans when it is offered through an accredited diabetes education program, which has met vigorous criteria set by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
See who is providing state-certified diabetes self-management education programs in Iowa HERE
Link to the Iowa Department of Public Health Diabetes Management Information HERE
Resources to help you manage your diabetes:
- Healthy Eating – English Version, Spanish Version
- Being Active – English Version , Spanish Version
- Monitoring Your Numbers – English Version, Spanish Version
- Reducing Risk – English Version, Spanish Version
- The Affordable Insulin Project – offers tools, resources and data so that people impacted by rising healthcare costs can advocate for affordable access to this life essential drug. Includes a guide to help employers understand the benefits of offering affordable insulin in their plan benefits and resources to help those with no insurance or high deductible plans lessen their costs.
- Access to resources that could help people afford their diabetes medication HERE
Living with Diabetes: Ask the Experts Q&A Series
All events will be held at 2:00 PM ET unless otherwise noted.
Register for each event by clicking HERE or call 1-855-565-0595 for more information.
Diabetes Information and Resources for Providers of Diabetes Care
- Iowa’s Diabetes Action Plan 2018-2020 HERE
- Iowa’s Diabetes Statewide Strategy HERE
- 5210 Healthy Choices Count HERE
- DSMES Toolkit HERE
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors Resources & Trainings for DPP HERE
- NDPP Coverage Toolkit HERE
“Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.”
The Diabetes and Wellness Summit provides an engaging forum to discuss latest practices, opportunities, resources, and tools for addressing diabetes prevention, control and management. National, state and local experts share innovative and best practice strategies for reducing the burden of diabetes and empowering patients and their families to live healthier lives.
Public health professionals, physicians, podiatrists, nurses, advance practice nurses, chiropractors, physical therapists, health coaches, certified diabetes educators, dietitians, pharmacists, diabetes prevention program facilitators, diabetes self-management education coordinators, and third-party payers.
|The 2020 Iowa Diabetes & Wellness Summit will take place virtually the mornings of November 12 and November 19. The two half days will each include a keynote speaker, breakout sessions, and networking opportunities! We look forward to bringing this event to you all in a new format and making it accessible to folks who may not have been able to join previously.|